The Milk Race 2014
The Milk Race 2014
Trott and King to ride the Milk Race 2014
This Sunday the legendary Milk Race returns to Nottingham City Centre with exciting new elite cyclists now added to the line up.
The elite field, which includes Dame Sarah Storey, World and European cycling champion Katie Archibald and Olympic gold medalist Ed Clancy, has been joined by Olympic champions Laura Trott and Dani King, who will compete in the Elite Women’s Race.
Trott, who was also part of the ‘make mine Milk’ celebrity based advertising campaign, will lead a strong line-up from Wiggle Honda, alongside 2013 Milk Race Elite Women’s champion, Dani King.
Speaking about her Milk Race debut, Laura said: “I’m excited to be taking part in The Milk Race this year. It creates one of the best crowds on the domestic circuit and who doesn’t love riding in front of big crowds? Women’s road racing in the UK is on a high at the moment and I’m looking forward to putting on a great show with Wiggle Honda and hopefully leading out one of our girls for a win!”
On returning to The Milk Race this year, Dani said: “I’m delighted to be back riding The Milk Race to defend the title I won last year. I can’t wait to get stuck into such a great race.”
The event’s return to Nottingham has been made possible by The Dairy Council and Nottingham City Council who are hosting a day of family activities in Old Market Square on the Saturday before the Milk Race.
As well as the elite races, the Milk Race event will provide a host of entertainment including live music, stunt shows and public rides, starting at 9:30am in Nottingham’s Old Market Square.
A full timetable of the day is as follows:
09.00 The Milk Race Village Opens
09.00 Registration open for Public Rides
10.15 Public Rides: Advanced, Community and Family ride
12.45 Elite Women’s warm up
13.15 The Milk Race – Elite women’s race
14.30 Presentations – Elite Women’s race
15.30 Elite men’s warm up
16.00 The Milk Race – Elite men’s race
17.30 Presentations – Elite Men’s Race
Families and individuals can still register for the public rides via the website at here and further information about the 2014 Milk Race can be found at www.themilkrace.com.
About The Milk Race:
· Between 1958 and 1993, The Milk Race was the most prestigious cycling event in the British calendar, and the (now disbanded) Milk Marketing Board’s sponsorship remains the longest association that the sport has ever had.
· The multistage race of old was conducted over a number of day races – across a number of locations – and was contested by some of the most successful ever road cyclists.
· Previous Milk Race winners include Shane Sutton – a current part of British Cycling’s coaching set-up – and Malcolm Elliott, the team manager of the Node4-Giordana professional team.
· In 2013, The Milk Race returned after 20 years and was held in Nottingham city centre – attended by over 60,000 people. Dani King and Felix English won the women’s elite race and the men’s elite race respectively.
· The Milk Race is a registered trademark of The Dairy Council and the event is funded by members of the Milk Marketing Forum (comprised of Arla Foods UK, Dairy Crest Limited, First Milk and Müller Wiseman Dairies).